Conversation with God: That Thing You Do

About that indecision problem we talked about the other day; how do you tolerate this embarrassing trait that I have?

Because you have that Abraham thing working for you.

What thing?

You know, the whole you go left, then I will go right, if you go right, then I'll go...

...Oh, the Abraham & Lot story.

Yeah, that's it. I recall Abraham struggling all night about this. He wrestled with his indecision. Should he take his family left towards Sodom or right toward the mountains. Left, right, left, right...all night long.

Now, when I read that passage Abraham didn't make a decision. He left the decision up to Lot. In fact, it reads...

Genesis 13:9 Is not the whole land before you? Let's part company. If you go to the left, I'll go to the right; if you go to the right, I'll go to the left. 10 Lot looked around and saw that the whole plain of the Jordan toward Zoar was well watered, like the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt. (This was before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.) 11 So Lot chose for himself the whole plain of the Jordan and set out toward the east. The two men parted company:
So...the way I read it, Abraham didn't make a decision period!

Oh yes he did!

I'm sorry, but I don't find it in this scripture.

You're looking in the wrong place. Abraham made an agreement with me long ago. It was called a covenant or commitment that I would be with him where he went. I would bless the people that blessed him and curse the people that cursed him. His seed would be multiplied. Abraham was committed to being my son and servant wherever he went. It was a promise.

Explain to me how this applies to the left/right discussion with Lot?


When I reminded Abraham of my covenant he was set free from "indecision". He was going to be my servant wherever. Sodom, in the mountains, Egypt, wherever. My promise went with him.

I see. So I'm free to make decisions about where I go as long as I go as your servant.

No so fast. The Abraham thing is not a freedom or license to go where you please. You're on a journey to my city. To my...destiny for you. As you follow my covenant, your path will follow my lead.

You lost me there. I have tried to follow your lead before and I found myself praying all night, trying to discern your will.

Exactly. You're here aren't you?
Why do you think I let Abraham wrestle with this all night before I reminded him of the covenant? He found the answer to his indecision through prayer and seeking my face.

That sounds good but sometimes I need names, places, hard facts. I don't trust my instincts when you're vague.

Have you ever heard of faith son?
By the way, it's hard to please me without it. In case you didn't know, we walk by faith and not by sight. Faith is the way we live. I'm amazed at how my children constantly work hard to keep from exercising faith.

I've noticed that. It seems we want to trust ourselves; our own provisions. I know this is offensive to you.

You have no idea! I long for my children to trust in me alone.  Abraham had to sell out completely to follow me. That's why we went through that whole commitment/covenant thing. It was a promise that if he would sell out to me, I would take care of him.

Ah, so that's why it says that by faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.

Now you're catching on son. I like what you're reading.

Alright, let me see if I understand this. Its called "The Abraham thing". Commitment, Promise, and Faith.

You got it son. Now remember this...I'm the same yesterday, today, and forever. As you journey, I will be with you and your faith in me will open the floodgates of heaven. Hey...even Abraham talks about you up here.

Oh yeah?

No...Just kidding, but my son talks about you constantly.

iPhone

Comments

  1. I'm gone to inform my little brother, that he should also go to see this blog on regular basis to take updated from most recent news.

    Feel free to visit my webpage: carry pets

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keith Brake

Take Up Your Cross (Part II)

Go For It