Go For It

One of the most heart rendering experiences I've ever had occurred on a mission trip to the south pacific. My niece came with me along with a dozen other workers. We arrived at the airport in Manila Philippines for our return flight to America. My niece reached for her passport...and it wasn't there. One thing for certain, you're not getting on an international flight without a passport. It was lost on the bumpy ride to the city.
She had everything, but not quite! Everything.. but the most important item... which gave her right of passage.
At that point, nothing else mattered. I recall her weeping on my shoulder, "Uncle John, there going to keep me here forever".
How God bailed us out of that jam was amazing and a great devotion for another time.

What I'm reminded of from this is the story of the rich young man that came to Jesus in Matthew 19. He had everything and had kept all the law. He would have been like the Bruce Wayne of Palestine. He had money, excellent moral fiber, guardian of justice, and probably handsome too. Young men aspired to be him and old men admired him.

But the story could also be told a different way by pointing out what he DIDN'T have.

Matthew 19: 16 Another day, a man stopped Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
Jesus said, "Why do you question me about what's good? God is the One who is good. If you want to enter the life of God, just do what he tells you."
The man asked, "What in particular?"
Jesus said, "Don't murder, don't commit adultery, don't steal, don't lie, honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as you do yourself."
The young man said, "I've done all that. What's left?"
"If you want to give it all you've got," Jesus replied, "go sell your possessions; give everything to the poor. All your wealth will then be in heaven. Then come follow me."
That was the last thing the young man expected to hear. And so, crest-fallen, he walked away. He was holding on tight to a lot of things, and he couldn't bear to let go.


First, he didn't have Peace.
There was a gnawing of dissatisfaction. He was full but not complete. That's why he went searching for someone to validate his life. You could say that he was lost in the pursuit of happiness. After achieving everything... and then some...he was left wondering, "something's missing, what is it?".


Also, he didn't have Christ.
That's what our Savior meant by ,"go and sell all that you have and follow me." He was saying, "You have everything, but the most important thing...ME" How important is your relationship to me? Are you willing to give up what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose?

Lastly, he didn't have Faith
He went away sorrowful because in the big picture he just couldn't imagine taking such a risk. Oh he wanted it...real bad, but it was too much for him to get his mind around. Now we understand clearer that camel through the eye of the needle parable. The collection of things, wealth, position, and status can interfere with life's greatest decision.
In his mind he reasoned that surely there is a way to achieve this without sacrifice.

Ah....sacrifice!!! Faith is surrendering all that I am and have to Christ.


Short sighted? Perhaps, but all to familiar to countless of lives today. Collecting and achieving every notable thing but missing the one thing that is required, giving all that we have and are to Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior.

I lost it all, to find everything. I died a pauper to become a king.
When I learned how to loose...I  found how to win
I lost it all to find everything.



iPhone

Comments

  1. Thank you Bro. John :) You touch so many and remind us all of what the most Important Thing in life is. Not I but Him. I'll keep praying.
    Thanks The Romine Sheriff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous huh? The Romine Sheriff. Thanks Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim and Leah RomineJuly 26, 2010 at 2:39 PM

    That was Leah who posted that, not me for a change.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keith Brake

Take Up Your Cross (Part II)