The Ten Year Rule

Jeremiah 15:1 Then the LORD said to me: "Even if Moses and Samuel
were to stand before me, my heart would not go out to this people.
Send them away from my presence! Let them go! 2 And if they ask you,
'Where shall we go?' tell them, 'This is what the LORD says:
'Those destined for death, to death; those for the sword, to the
sword; those for starvation, to starvation; those for captivity, to captivity.'

Jeremiah would rather take a beating than deliver his most recent revelation from God. He was taking a lot of heat for everything he had said thus far and he knew this message would create a riot of intense hatred and loathing of him.

10 Alas, my mother, that you gave me birth,
a man with whom the whole land strives and contends!
I have neither lent nor borrowed,
yet everyone curses me.


The weeping prophet was in a tailspin of self pity. Don't judge him. You would be sorrowful too if you had his job.

Have you ever had to do or say something that you knew was going to make some folks or loved ones pretty upset? I'm thinking of my children and how there were times that they despised dad and his decision. Or the time I had to level with my congregation over gossip and backbiting. I wasn't very popular but I knew my responsibility and with much prayer and dread I had to stand firm as a father, shepherd, and leader.

I don't want to be that guy. I've never wanted to be that kind of guy. Some appear to relish an opportunity to unload on people. Not me. I'm a peace maker and John the beloved. However, there are times that instead of John the beloved I had to be John the Baptist and stand and speak up for what was certain to be a despised word or disdainful message.

Honesty, along with humility, love, long suffering, and patience are not just important attributes, they're essential if you want to be effective as a leader.

In the end, I would rather have my beating, than to have my children or flock say later, "why didn't you tell me?"

It's the ten year rule. You ask yourself the question; in ten years, what difference will it make? If the answer is zero, then let it go, but if the answer is...it makes all the difference; the difference of life or death, joy or sorrow, then you know the answer and the duty of the ten year rule!

Pray for Gods wisdom when you speak...
Pray for humility...
Convey the love of the heavenly Father...
And by all means, be patient, and allow the Holy Spirit to do His perfect work.

19...you will be my spokesman.
Let this people turn to you,
but you must not turn to them.
20 I will make you a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you
but will not overcome you,
for I am with you


iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go For It

Take Up Your Cross (Part II)

Keith Brake