Our Father who art in heaven...

We've heard many definitions of prayer. Some are good and helpful.
Others attempt to give a "feel good" idea about prayer but miss the
mark.

We've all heard some of these expressions...
Prayer changes things.
Prayer is not about changing God, it's about changing you.
Prayer is spiritual breathing, (I'm still raising an eyebrow on this one).

We host prayer walks, conferences, prayer retreats, and even seminars on mechanics and posture.
Prayer has been investigated, digested, examined, probed and
reexamined again. At times we take a simple matter and parse it and break it apart too much.

I would like to step aside from all the important scholarly work on the subject of prayer and share
3 very simple insights; principles I've learned from my pastor, other prayer warriors, and personal experience.


1. Prayer is...asking and receiving.
When I counsel others who are new in faith they often present some
issue or reoccurring problem hanging over their life. My word to them
and you is this: What is a mountain to you is a mole hill to God! This
is a great opportunity for God to show you His love and care. Take
this to Him in prayer. Call on Him to work. He can't wait to do
something marvelous before your eyes. A great miracle awaits. Ask God
to take your urgent need and do a God sized work.

God delights in this. More than we know. When we reach heaven we will
be surprised at the depth of what he meant by..."you have not because
you ask not."


2. The goal of prayer is...to know the heart of God
Pastor Robertson shared this in bible study and lights began flashing
in my head. Yes-Yes-Yes, it's our goal to be molded and fashioned in
his image; to know His heart and desire His will. It has always been
in prayer that God stirs my heart over my sin, the lost, the hurting of
others, and the essence of what matters to Him.

My father was a fellow pastor and the most meaningful moments we
shared together was when we revealed our hearts to each other. This
came from intimacy. When I needed him, his help, his intervention, I
spoke... and then I listened to his heart. A heart of love... for his son.

Ephesians 1:17 I ask—ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the
God of glory—to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him
personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly
what it is he is calling you to do (MSG)


3. Prayer is...hiding under the shadow of His wings.
Psalm 91:1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.


I love how the Message translation puts it.
"...spend the night in Shaddai's shadow."

After I spend meaningful moments on my knees before the Father,
I feel 10 feet tall. That's why praying with co-workers and colleagues is
critical in this day and age. The world will attempt to squeeze you into it's mold.

As we cling to our fortress, our high tower, our horn and buckler, we are strengthened
and emboldened to complete His will and work. You and I know that we are sent out to serve.
Before we go "out" it's imperative to spend some time with the Lord of Hosts.

Jonathan knelt before God and then when out and defeated the enemy.
All the while his father Saul tarried beneath a pomegranate tree fearful in marching forward. In his rebellion, he had forsaken his quiet place of confidence and assurance with God.

Jonathan's beloved blood brother, King David, wrote later -
"The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
3 my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
from violent people you save me.
4 "I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise,
and have been saved from my enemies.
                                                               2 Samuel 22:1-4

Remember this...
You can accomplish more in one hour with God...than one lifetime
without Him.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked hard at them and said, "No chance at all
if you think you can pull it off yourself. You have every chance in
the world if you trust God to do it." (MSG)


iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Up Your Cross (Part II)

Keith Brake

Go For It