Baptizing...Jesus

Dr. Richardson asked me if I could visit the patient in 439. I believe he
could use your help was the phase he used. Of course I agreed.

Mr. J was a homeless young man that presented himself with a variety
of health problems that are associated with an indigent life. We had a
warm conversation and I found him to be an intelligent person that
seemed to choose homelessness as an easier way to feed addiction. After
I grasped an understanding of his life picture I began to ask him some
pointed questions regarding faith in Christ.

Mr. J had made a public profession of Christ just a few months back.
He confessed that after receiving the Lord he slipped back into his
homeless routine and landed once again, flat of his back.

I asked if he had ever been baptized. He answered no. I explained
about hospital baptism and that I would be willing to perform if he
would like. He quickly agreed.

We spoke for several minutes more on a variety of things, mostly regarding
addictions, victorious living, and a purpose filled life.

Later that afternoon, I met his Dr. And Dr. Dunn and informed them of
Mr. J's baptism. We set a time of 2pm for the service.

Around 1:45pm I arrived at Mr. J's room to make preparations. Mr. J
had informed his nurse, who is a fine Christian lady, about his
baptism. She had made arrangements for his service that took me and my
chaplain colleague by surprise.
Mr. J is a young man with long dark hair
and a full beard. The nurse had given him a scrubbing shower, dolled
him up and he was lying on the bed with a towel draped over his head.
When I approached him, his appearance was stunning.

"Mr. J I don't know what to say. You look...handsome laying there."

Thank you chaplain.

"Okay, some people are coming to celebrate with you but I don't know
how many."

For the first time, I noticed his crystal blue eyes.
"Mr. J your eyes are dazzling. If I didn't know better I would think you was... Jesus!
All you need is sandles."

"I have some in my backpack." We all laughed.

Moments later people began to arrive. One after another. Eventually,
14 people packed into his little hospital room. I don't know where they
all came from. Doctors, nurses, staff, you name it. Even Mr. J's
physicians were there and one of them read a scripture. After a beautiful prayer
from a nurse, Dr. Dunn and I conducted the baptismal service. Mr. J was
glowing. His first words afterward were,

"This is the best church I've ever been too in my entire life. Wow,
this feels great."

After his baptism, all fourteen of us looked at him with awe,
...amazing, he did look like Jesus !

iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go For It

Take Up Your Cross (Part II)

Keith Brake