It's all about ME

While reading through the Psalms this week I was surprised at how many
times the psalmist used the word "Me" in Psalm 51. Often times you read
of prophets or kings that become self centered. What usually
follows is a strong rebuke from the Lord but not this time.

Psalm 51 is a special chapter that deals with a serious problem;
sin...King David's sin.

When Nathan the prophet pointed out the sin of the spiritually blinded
shepherd turned king he not only repented but he wrote this amazing
hymn as an account of it. That takes courage.

For us to position ourselves for Gods forgiveness and blessing we have
to face our sin and face it head on. Sin disrupts our spiritual
progress and weighs us down. When it comes to restoring our fellowship
and renewing ourselves to God, self evaluation is key.

It takes courage to say, "God, show me myself and my sin!" When
God reveals our transgression, the question then becomes; "What are
you going to do about it?"

Remember that David was a man after Gods own heart. He was passionate
for Him and desired to be like His heavenly father and please him in
every way. However, some issues and weaknesses of David over time began
to blind his spiritual progress.

When the scales fell off his darkened eyes, David was appalled, repulsed, and
broken at the iniquity in his heart.

Repentance is acknowledgment
of your present course and 
doing a U turn.

This recorded act of confession and brokenness is a prayer written for all of
us to model in our own spiritual walk. The role of Nathan is the ministry of the
Holy Spirit at work in our life. He will rebuke and reprove us of sin,
righteousness, and judgement.

Take at look at the "Me" in the mirror. What does God see? Be
courageous. Ask God to restore the person that is passionate for His
heart.

Psalm 51
1 Have mercy on me..
2 Wash...cleanse me from my sin.
3 ...my sin is always before me.
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight.
7 Cleanse me with hyssop...wash me...
8 Let me hear joy and gladness...
10 Create in me a pure heart...
...renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation...
...grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keith Brake

Take Up Your Cross (Part II)

Go For It