The Night Shift

Dr. Abraham and I sat on each side of Mr. M telling him the good news of Gods love, grace, and forgiveness. You couldn't ask for a better listener or finer gentleman. A WWII veteran with extraordinary social graces.

Mr. M was agreeable to all of our spiritual encouragement and thankful. After I shared with him
Revelation 3:20 "Behold I stand at the door and knock, If anyone opens the door I will come in to them and dine with them", Dr Abraham asked in her gentle way, "Mr. M... do you want to invite Christ into your life right now?"

His reply was..."No, but thank you for sharing this with me."

We looked at each other a little puzzled. We new Mr. M was polite but we felt sure that the power of Gods presence was drawing Mr. M.

We expressed our gratitude for him allowing us to share and he also complimented us for all our work and diligence to his physical and the spiritual.

Dr. Abraham and I walked out to the hall scratching our heads. We talked about leaving a Prayer of Affirmation with Mr. M. This is a written out prayer another physician gave me. Its a simple prayer guide for inviting the love and forgiveness of Christ into your life. I told her I would go make a copy and bring it back to the patient, which I did later that afternoon.

This morning I saw Dr. A on the floor and she asked if I had seen Mr. M. She said, "according to the nurse, he's been weepy and emotional this morning," I told Dr. A that I would go see him right away.

When I entered his room, he flung his hands forward and said, "oh Chaplain."

I leaned over his bed and he took my hand. He reached over and grabbed the prayer of affirmation and said, "I prayed this prayer all night."

Unbelievable. The power of God works the night shift... WOW

I sat and rejoiced with him for several minutes. He even asked me if I could baptize him here in the hospital!
When I left his room I went all over the hospital sharing the wonderful story of Mr. M.

When we share the love of God, especially the word of God, He speaks through it and stirs the heart long after the servant has departed.
As one colleague stated, "We can't do the Holy Spirits work," and thank heaven, God works the night shift!!!

Hebrews 4:12  For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keith Brake

Take Up Your Cross (Part II)

Go For It